Looking for a nutritious low carb item to add to your dinner menu? Then you’ll love this cauliflower chicken casserole made with riced cauliflower, chicken and cheese. This dish is not just delicious on its own, but ingredients can be easily customized.
Today is going to be the start of a long couple of days for me. I’m in the middle of moving 5 1/2 hours away, and I’m up very early today to start my drive. This will generally be my life for the next few days, but I should be completely moved out of my apartment by the weekend.
The plus side of my move is that I will be near my favorite running track again. I haven’t really gotten into a good running routine this season since the area I’ve been living in doesn’t have the availability of easy to find running tracks. Unlike the place I’m moving to, I can’t just open the door and go for a run. So, I’m really looking forward to getting back into a good running routine. I also need to clean up my eating a little bit as I’ve been swaying towards eating a lot of junk due to the stress of the move.
And since I shared my “How to Make Cauliflower Rice” post yesterday, it really got me in the mood to try and make something delicious with what I had left over. I haven’t had too much time to experiment with using cauliflower rice in my own recipes, so decided a day of testing was in order. The result is a deliciously cheesy and low carb cauliflower chicken casserole.
Cauliflower Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups cauliflower rice, uncooked
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup Mama Francesca Parmesan & Garlic Cheese
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- mozzarella cheese (optional for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower rice, Italian seasoning, mushrooms and chicken. Spread
- into the prepared casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg whites, ½ cup cheese and milk. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour over the cauliflower rice.
- Bake casserole for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Let cool before serving, and top with mozzarella cheese..
My secret ingredient is definitely the Mama Francesca Parmesan & Garlic Cheese. I found mine at my local Walmart, along with other flavored Parmesan cheeses. These flavored Parmesan cheeses have become a life savor when it comes to spicing up dishes. Don’t skimp on this ingredient! I’m sure Parmesan could do just find, but to me, it doesn’t come out the same without having to add more spices.
This was my main course for dinner, and I didn’t even add any sides with my meal. The low carb cauliflower casserole was really filling as is. It’s loaded with protein from the chicken, and a cup of cauliflower is 25 calories so I felt free to indulge. I may add in some chopped up broccoli and maybe even try another meat next time, but those are the only tweaks I was thinking of making. Oh, and of course shopped up bacon. Yummm!